Each passing day, we come across stories of accounts being hacked, online data breaches, data theft, financial frauds, and so on. Keeping this in mind, Microsoft developed its very own app that works wonders if you are having an Office, Microsoft, Skype, or Xbox account. This application serves as a two-factor authentication app and works like several passwords protecting apps available today.
Whenever you try to access your account, the service providing platform asks for a code. Failing to enter the code, you won’t be able to log in to your account in any way. Those who are looking for a safer way to sign-in quickly to their accounts, for them, Microsoft Authenticator is one of the best apps they can use. You can use it on both Microsoft accounts as well as for non-Microsoft accounts.
How does the app work?
If you have ever used any other authentication app, then you may find it similar to that. The app generates a code after 30 seconds and sends it to your registered mobile number. When you receive the code, you need to enter it in the account log in page. The login process is simple and is similar to the one you use normally. But, the slight difference is that you will receive the code on the authentication application.
Its working mechanism is different for a Microsoft account and for a non-Microsoft account. If you are using a Microsoft account, then you just need to enter the code and not the password. On the other hand, if you are using an account other than Microsoft, then you need to enter all the login credentials including username, password, as well as the code you get on the app.
Read Also >> Learn to backup and restore your databases in Microsoft Access
The app is supported on all the platforms that have the feature of receiving a one-time password. However, only time-based OTP generating platforms can use the authenticator. So without further ado, let us learn how to use Microsoft Authenticator on your account.
Steps for using Microsoft Authenticator
On a Microsoft account:
- First of all, log in to your Microsoft account in the app itself.
- Whenever you open the app, the login prompt will appear on your screen.
- Here, you need to select the ‘Personal account’ option.
- If you are using a ‘Work or school account’, then log in with the same.
- Now, you will be prompted to complete the authentication with a code.
- You can select an option to receive the code via text message, email, or something else.
- As soon as you enter the code, the app will get linked to your account.
You can also opt for a no-password sign-in option. Whenever you log in to your account, the authenticator will ask only for your username and just the code.
On a non-Microsoft account
- Open the authenticator app on your device.
- Click on the menu option represented by three dots.
- Now, select the ‘Add account’ option.
- After this, select the ‘Other account’ option and then go to the next step.
- Now, go to the website of your email service provider.
- After this, you will receive the code on it or you will see the QR code option on it.
- Now, go back to the app and tap ‘Enter Code Manually’.
- Follow some on-screen instructions to complete the setup process for authentication.
Really, this app is a must-have for those who wish to secure their accounts. Moreover, you can use it on all the accounts you use.